Thankful (reposted from Fremont Tribune weekly article)
If you live on Facebook like I do, then you have probably seen the “30 Days of Thanks” posts that started November 1st. This means that many of us are planning Thanksgiving dinners and family celebrations as Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away. Since it is the month of thanks, I have been thinking a lot about what we have to be thankful for here at the library. One of the most important things I am thankful for here at Keene Memorial Library is the wonderful, hardworking, and dedicated staff. So I wanted to take this time to sing my praises for this amazing group of people.
Here are my list of thanks for the Keene Memorial Library Staff:
- Dedication – the dedication that permeates from the staff just infects me with dedication. It is easy to give your all to the library and the patrons when you are surrounded by these folks.
- Knowledge – the vast array of knowledge that is bundled up in all these folks is amazing. From graphic design, to collection development, to leadership, to customer service. Our jobs are so far beyond “books” but many do not know the level of skill and knowledge the library staff brings to their job every day.
- Family – working at the library is not just being at a job because we are more like family here. We look out for each other and learn as much about each other as we do our siblings or parents.
- Reliability – it is so great knowing that every day at 9:30, the staff will be here and ready to serve the patrons. They arrive on time, work their assigned shifts, and I don’t have to worry.
- Reader Advisory – so many of the staff read more books than I do. I love listening to the conversations with patrons about different authors, genres, storylines, characters, etc…
- Multitasking wizards – so working the Circulation desk may seem like a great job, but when you have 2 phone lines ringing, a patron with computer problems, a patron trying to print, patrons trying to check out, patrons who need help finding materials, and 3 patrons waiting for guest passes, it can get very hectic and overwhelming. The staff here does a great job balancing all the demands placed on them daily.
- Planning Programming – beyond the hundred other duties staff wrangles every day, they are all involved in programming for either children, teens, or adults. They plan the programming curriculum, setup the events and crafts, and carry out the programs both in the library and out in the community.
Since I am limited on space, I will end my list of greatness here. I could easily list a full 30 reasons why I am thankful for all the staff here at Keene Memorial Library. As a new director, I could not ask for a better group of folks to work with and to share my day with each and every day.
Tina Walker, Library Director