Monday, August 30, 2010

Matterhorn

I figure I should update on the book "The Matterhorn". I actually finished it over a week ago and have actually recommended it to someone who came into the library the other day. I thought it was an excellent book, describing the mindset of not only war, but the conditions of war. As Kate had commented earlier on this blog, the book's story is based on an actual event during the Vietnam war.
The story is well written, the events and conditions are gripping, even in the "down time", and you start to care about the characters, even though there are a lot of them. The author does a good job creating a character that you can really dislike, and then show a little of the reasoning of why he is doing the things that make you hate him, and makes you wonder what you would do in that situation.
If you like war novels, even though there isn't a lot of combat there is still a lot of tension through out, I highly recommend it. It is a fairly large book, over 600 pages, but the last 50 pages the author breaks down some of the jargon and military terms used throughout the book. That might have helped me to know before I read it, so I will pass it on. The author does do a good job of writing it so that you get the general idea of those terms, all though not the specifics.

1 comment:

  1. To see if Matterhorn is available or to place a hold, visit the library's online catalog Click Here - it helps to right click and open in a new tab or window.

    ReplyDelete