Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno by Ellen Bryson

This is something different than I usually read. I like the Sci-Fi and Mystery sections best. That said, it was pretty interesting. It's a sort of love story set in 1865-ish New York, and features the Curiosities of P.T. Barnum's famous museum. The characters are odd and different, but once you get past that you start to care about them in their quirky ways. There's a lot of descriptive passages that help you "see" the world around the characters but it's still a stretch sometimes. At points, I wanted to scream "enough already, move on!" but the characters weren't ready for the story to move as quickly as I was.

I'll be waiting to see what Ms Bryson's next book offers.
Overall rating: B+
Check our catalog

PS - I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's a futuristic tale of a post-war ravaged North America which has been reformed as Panem. As part of the new "civilization," there are annual Hunger Games where youth - children aged 12 to 18 - from the 12 Districts fight to the death on live TV. It's rather... disturbing and difficult to put down at the same time. I'm late to the bandwagon, having only picked up the first book in the trilogy after reading lots of chatter about the third book, Mockingjay.

No comments:

Post a Comment