Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich











Being an avid Stephanie Plum fan, I couldn't wait for the newest release in the Stephanie Plum series, Sizzling Sixteen. After reading it, I felt it was more like fizzling sixteen. The story line was quirky and entertaining as always, but the tendency to backtrack over so much of the history has gotten old for me. There has been no real character or plot development over the last several books now. It's the same old Stephanie...bumbling bounty hunter, blowing up cars, getting new ones mysteriously delivered from Ranger, getting covered in some sort of goo or another, etc. You can only read so much about feeding Rex, going to a fast food place to feed Lula's seemingly insatiable appetite, being torn between Ranger and Morelli and rescuing Grandma Mazur from another botched funeral home viewing before your eyes glaze over and you lose interest.
Stephanie and the gang have become to me like long-lost friends that you remember when you see them, but aren't exactly joyous at their appearance. I think it's time for Janet to decide to thicken the plots and add some character to her characters or end this series alltogether. I'd hate to see them go, but I can't make myself look forward to semi-good seventeen.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Plum fans, I guess the latest news is that there will be at least two more Plum novels. Evanovich has signed a 4-book deal, two Plum novels and two for the Unmentionable series.
    This information comes from the September issue of Book Page, available at the library. Check it out for great suggestions on what to read next or to find a new author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review and the promo of BookPage, Dawn!
    --Laura

    ReplyDelete