Friday, December 16, 2011

Holiday Shopping Lists

It's not that we're not busy, it's that we're too busy.  OK, that's also an excuse.  We just haven't taken the time to develop this blog into something that attracts you, our audience.  I'm committing myself to that change.  Once a week posts, come rain or snow, sun or shade. 


Starting now, December 16th, with a post that shares some outstanding reads for readers of all ages on your Holiday Shopping List.  They're recommendations from Nancy Pearl*.  Nancy is a retired librarian, avid reader and author of Book Lust, More Book Lust, Book Crush, Book Lust To Go... you get the idea.  She reads A LOT. 



I recently attended a webinar where Nancy presented her list of Books That Make Great Gifts.  (Click the title to get your own pdf copy of the list).  What I like about this list is Nancy tells you why she liked the book and what age group she would recommend for the title.


A few that have made it onto my list - sshhhhhh, don't spoil the surprise!!

  • The Tragedy of Arthur, Arthur Phillips The perfect gift for anyone who loves clever writing or stories about fathers and sons, or is interested in Shakespeare. It’s humorous, very smart, and a total delight to read.  (for my husband who's an English major)
  • Ghost Hero, S. J. Rozan S. J. Rozan writes a terrific series of mysteries, and I never think they get enough accolades from the general public. (for me, who loves mysteries!!)
  • The Art of Fielding, Chad Harbach A lovely first novel. Baseball is part of the scaffolding, but the joy of this book—the pleasure of this book—is both the writing and the characters. (for my dad, who loves Baseball)
  • Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend, Susan Orlean I think Susan Orlean is one of the best nonfiction writers we have these days. (for my friend the dog-lover and movie-goer)
  • The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale, Carmen Agra Deedy and Randall Wright If you’re looking for a good book for seven- to nine-year-olds, The Cheshire Cheese Cat would be a perfect gift for them. (if I had a little person, I would get this for them. Might have to get it for me since it has a CAT in the title)
  • Divergent, Veronica Roth For teens who loved The Hunger Games and Matched. Very exciting. (for any number of my staff, who loved the Hunger Games trilogy as much as I did...)
Happy shopping!  See you next week... and if I don't see you before then - Happy Holidays!


       -Laura




* Maybe you've heard of Nancy Pearl, maybe you haven't.  She's also the model for the Action Figure Librarian (see photo below).  There's the original (in the blue) and the Deluxe (in the red) - Deluxe comes with a background, information desk, computer, shelving cart and (of course!) little piles of books.
"The Nancys" with my breakfast at the 2010 COSUGI Conference  at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort 





No comments:

Post a Comment